Yoga Salon is a state-of-the art yoga studio, centrally located in district De Pijp, Amsterdam. We offer Jivamukti Yoga, Indian classical concerts/workshops and delicious plant-based (vegan) cooking classes.
We teach Jivamukti Yoga, a physically-challenging style of Vinyasa yoga which also emphasizes the intellectual and spiritual aspects of yoga, including the study of yogic texts, chanting and meditation.
Jivamukti’s core philosophy is expressed through five tenets which form the foundation of the teachings and color any yoga class given. The five tenets, not presented in any particular order of importance, are:
- AHIMSA: A nonviolent, compassionate lifestyle extending to other animals, the environment and all living beings, emphasizing ethical vegetarianism (veganism) and animal rights.
- BHAKTI: Acknowledgment that God/Self-realization is the goal of all yoga practices; can be expressed through chanting, the setting of a high intention for the practice or though other devotional practices.
- DHYANA: Meditation: connecting to that eternal unchanging reality within.
- NADA: The development of a sound body and mind through deep listening; can be incorporated in a class using recorded music, spoken word, silence or even the teacher’s voice.
- SHASTRA: Study of the ancient yogic teachings (Yoga Sutras, Bhagavad Gita, Upanishads).
The Jivamukti Yoga method was developed in the mid-eighties in New York by the iconic couple Sharon Gannon and David Life, both yogis, artists, musicians, writers and environmentalists. Their gurus are Shri K. Pattabhis Jois, Shri Swami Nirmalananda and Shri Brahmananda Sarasvati.
Yogasalon is per January 25, 2016 temporarily closed as Lilian is traveling and studying abroad.
Thank you for your interest. Please sign up for the newsletter so we can inform you when our courses and events start again.
- Thursday 8 June - Tuesday 13 June Dhrupad singing retreat in Woodstock (NY) 8-13 June 3:00 PM - 11:00 AM
We are holding our first Dhrupad classical singing retreat in the charming, historic and famous arts town of Woodstock, nestled in the foothills of the beautiful Catskill Mountains, two hours north of New York City by bus or car.
Join us for five days of intense music practice, in which the art of Dhrupad singing will be taught by master musician Pandit Nirmalya Dey. Pandit Mohan Shyam Sharma, one of India’s leading Pakhawaj (double headed drum) players, will give instruction in the basic rhythm patterns used in Dhrupad music.
We will stay in a comfortable, quiet, well appointed hilltop retreat house with some free time available for outings, but the main focus will be on intense study and practice of Dhrupad. The workshop will be open to a limited number of participants to ensure an intimate setting, with room for individual attention. Men and women will receive separate instruction, except during the early morning practice when we will sit together.